April 6th, 2011
See Weekly Newsletter for Mass Times
Every Sunday at 11am
Under its other name of Kilmurry Ibrickane, Mullagh Parish was administered with neighbouring Kilfarboy from the late seventeenth century until well into the nineteenth. The 1704 register lists one priest each for the two old parishes of Kilfarboy & Kilmurry Ibrickane, but there seems little doubt that these men, Frs. Teige and Francis Shannon, were respectively Parish Priest and Curate for the combined parish. By 1715, we find Fr. Francis Shannon officiating both in Kilfarboy and Kilmurry Ibrickane, as would all of his eighteenth century successors.
By the late 1830’s the population of the combined parish had risen to about 20,000 souls and, probably in anticipation of a division, the parish priest and his curate, brothers Frs. Anthony and Patrick McGuane respectively, were at that time engaged in building near- identical churches at Mullagh and Miltown Malbay. On the death of Fr. Anthony in March 1839, Fr. Patrick became Parish Priest of Miltown Malbay, leaving Fr. Edmund Patrick Barry, their grand-nephew as the first Parish Priest of Mullagh. Fr. Barry inherited a large rectangular church which Fr. Patrick McGuane had built or at least commenced. A tower and spire were projected but when the building was partially completed the “Big Wind” of 6th January 1839 knocked a large part of it. It was then completed without a tower or spire and a porch was added instead. Of the stones left over, a boundary wall and massive gate piers were constructed.
Posted in Banner, Churches List | Comments Off
April 6th, 2011
Sunday: 9:30am
This church was built in the pastorate of Fr. Patrick Moran who succeeded Fr. Edmund Patrick Barry on his death in 1859. It was built in 1865-’66. On completion by Fr. Moran it consisted of the structure- itself an achievement – an altar and sanctuary. Canon Cahir who succeeded Fr. Moran laid on a magnificent flagged floor and had the church seated. He did all this at his own expense. Individual seats in the gallery were reserved for the families of parishioners who had paid for them, while those in the nave were for general use.
Posted in Banner, Churches List | Comments Off
March 26th, 2011
We welcome into God’s Family and the Christian Community Mia Emily McMahon O’Flaherty who was Baptised in St. Mary’s Church, Mullagh.
Guarded with tenderness, guided with love. Gently watched over by heaven above. Happily walking or safely at rest. May your precious baby forever be blessed.
Posted in Baptisms | Comments Off
March 21st, 2011
The death has occured of Helen Murphy, Kent, Englandon 21 March in England and cremation took place.
Funeral Mass in Most Holy Redeemer Church Coore on Friday 8th April with burial afterwards in Coore Cemetery.
May she rest in peace.
Posted in Death notices | Comments Off
March 19th, 2011
We welcome into God’s Family and the Christian Community Evan Declan Aaron Donnellan who was Baptised in St. Mary’s Church, Mullagh.
Guarded with tenderness, guided with love. Gently watched over by heaven above. Happily walking or safely at rest. May your precious baby forever be blessed.
Posted in Baptisms | Comments Off